A Mindful Approach To Corporate Behaviour
As a bakery manufacturer we must comply with a number of regulations and laws, customer requirements and of course our own internal requirements.
To ensure that we meet these obligations and more we have implemented a robust environmental management system with policies, standards, procedures and practices and training across all of our bakery network. We ensure that our team members are knowledgeable and trained in standard operating procedures to achieve set performance goals.
Going beyond compliance, we recognize that as a baking company we use natural resources and energy to make our products.
We continually strive to minimize our impact on the natural environment and have set annual reduction targets within our bakeries for the following areas:
- Water usage
- Electricity consumption
- Gas consumption
- Solid waste
To achieve these reduction targets we are continuously looking for better and more efficient ways to run our bakeries such as:
- Conducting lighting retrofits to more energy efficient equipment
- Upgrading compressor systems
- Optimizing and upgrading steam systems
- Installing new equipment that is designed to be more energy efficient and operate with less waste
- Working with local utilities to understand where the energy is sourced and how to become more energy efficient
- Working with suppliers and vendors to minimize waste and improve efficiencies
- Improving day to day operational practices through training, coaching and auditing
Our efforts have not gone unnoticed as Weston Foods is the first bakery manufacturer in North America to achieve Energy Star Certification for a number of our facilities.
Twelve in Canada and four in the US are certified. Our plan is to increase the number of bakeries certified as the Energy Star program expands into more bakery categories.
This is a significant achievement and shows how Weston Foods is leading the industry in this area.